Saturday, 2 August 2014

Something Unexpected

Claude Monet, Impression, soleil levant, 1872
Impression, Soleil Levant, 1872, Claude Monet, via Wikimedia Commons

A week or so ago, while trying to figure him out so I could start plotting the next set of index cards, my hero said "I can't be what you want me to be."

Woah.

That statement ground my writing to a halt. It made me question why I write and what exactly I was trying to make the character be that he couldn't be.

I learned a lot about what I write and what drives me to write it. And in learning about why I write, I learned something about what it is I seek in my own life.

I also learned that before I can write this story, I need to journey towards what it is I seek in life.

That makes sense, doesn't it?

Stories are powerful. They're just as powerful for the people who tell them as they are for the people who receive them.

I haven't stopped writing altogether, though. I've written this post. I'm doing a LOT of journal-writing.

I'm also doing a writing challenge for the month of August - the DIY MFA August Challenge - Conquer the Craft in 29 Days. Participants receive one prompt each day for 29 days in August and each prompt has been picked by Gabriela to cover a different writing craft area so that we should all be writing better by the end of August. You can find a checklist of the different prompts on the page I linked to above to see what's coming up.

I've covered Day 1 (Yay) and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's prompt.

Goals for the coming week:

  • Keep up to date with the DIY MFA prompts
  • Comment on my ROW80 team's blogs
Check out the other ROW80 blogs and have a good week. :)

1 comment:

  1. I've had characters do that to me, too. They'll tell me, "oh no, nonononono, I am NOT going there." I end up having to create an entirely new character, because they won't let me change them. Pain in the neck sometimes....

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading new comments so thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to get back to you to continue the conversation. :)