Monday, 19 May 2014

A birthday, a break, and back to revision.

It was my birthday last week and I was whisked away on a surprise trip. Thankfully, I was warned a couple of days in advance so that I had time to pack. The revision work came with me, but remained in its bag untouched for the duration of the trip away.

But now I'm back and I've started writing out the index cards for each scene, noting protagonist, antagonist, scene goal and scene conflict as per the instructions in Lesson 2 of Susan Dennard's revision guidebook.


Image by Maliz courtesy of publicdomainpictures.net
I could get very disheartened by the fact that some of my scenes are missing conflict or goals, but I'm reminding myself that this is a first draft. It is a mess. It is supposed to be a mess. You need a lump of clay before you can shape it into an amazing sculpture. This first draft is my lump of clay. I have also seen just how important it is to know things like scene goal and conflict before I sit down to write, but to be fair to myself, where I find these ommissions more than likely corresponds to the days I sat down to fast draft without doing the warm up exercises first

I had a chat with one of the writers in my Google+ group about the plot point that was bothering me - starting the story in one world and then moving into an alternate reality. I wasn't sure it was going to work, but then she pointed out that Harry Potter starts out just like this. As does The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. And Peter Pan. It can work, I just need to set it up in the right way.

I searched for some songs to add to my playlist for the female protagonist and found "Once Upon Another Time" by Sara Bareilles. What an absolutely beautiful voice. The song gave me shivers. In a good way. And it fits my protagonist well, particularly for one scene I have in mind.


So for the next few days I'll be writing up those index cards, reading Jeff Gerke's The First 50 Pages, listening to my playlist, and moving forward as best my time allows.

I'd also like to do something a bit different this week and write a flash fiction. Just for fun. Or a really short short story. 1500 words max.

We'll see how that goes.

And check out the other writers in the ROW80 blog hop here.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your revision progress! I'm struggling with a revision of my own, so I can relate to the emotional roller coaster that comes with that process.

    Also: I LOVE flash fiction! Love reading it, love writing it. Will you share what you write with us when you're done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sione, yes, very definitely! Whenever I have it finished and ready for public perusal, I'll post it on the blog. :)

      All the best with your revision, too.

      Delete

Hi! I love reading new comments so thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to get back to you to continue the conversation. :)