Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Midweek Check In - and another 25K goal to reach!

It's 1st May and time to get myself settled down for another 25K wordcount goal.

Image Courtesy of Morguefile.com
Writing - after reaching the 25K mark in April - came to a halt because I started focusing on the romance subplot and wondering how on earth I was going to get my characters together. I mean, how was I going to write a believable romance, given what I know about my characters, and the difficulty they have communicating - they don't speak the same language - and I don't mean in a Mars and Venus way; they LITERALLY don't speak the same language.

It was clearly time to internet surf.

First of all I went looking for some (recent) articles on the 12 Steps of Intimacy. I already knew what they were, but I wondered if anyone out there had actually filled out the bullet point list with details. Here's what I found:



And then I moved on to how to write a believable relationship and this is what I found:

And, as it is so very common to do, while I was looking for material on creating a believable relationship I found some very interesting articles on how to map character relationships with all the other characters and how to create a breakdown of how the characters feel about one another:

All in all, quite a productive surf ... I just need to sit down now and get started. Tonight's session is all about my two main characters and the romance element of the story.

Wish me luck!


4 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but getting characters together is part of what I like about romances. Sometimes it's hard, though, when there are obstacles. But it would be kind of boring without obstacles, wouldn't it? I have a series where the obstacle is that one is a human and one is a vampire. And she is having trouble with that. (Who wouldn't?) I don't know how you are going to work out that language barrier, but it's going to be interesting to see how you do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauralynn! I'm definitely covering Goal No 2 (spend at least 5 mins working on my novel) just by thinking how I can make this work.

    They'll be more or less in each other's company most of the time - it's a dangerous, dangerous world they live in! - and she definitely thinks he's the finest thing she's ever seen, and they have been friends (although they lost contact before meeting up again) so they have an established relationship. It's taking it to the next level that's going to be the challenge. I've got to work out what it is about the other person that attracts them to one another.

    Fun times ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how you are going to do it, Lisa, but I do know it can be done. My great-grandparents actually were a pair like this. He spoke only English, and she spoke only French: they stayed married for their whole lives, had eleven children during the Great Depression...

    Your research link-list is an awesome one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Kymele! I'm glad you found the links useful.

      My heroine is going to have to learn the language, there's no two ways about it, she's in a foreign country and that's what you do when you travel.

      But until she's anyway fluent, I foresee a lot of mime, gesture, facial expressions, and possibly no small amount of tomfoolery (that'll add to the humour!) for them to start talking to one another.

      And, you know, it'll be harder for them to argue... Unless they really want to make the meanings clear and that'll set up some more humorous scenes very nicely.

      Thank you for dropping in. :)

      Delete

Hi! I love reading new comments so thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to get back to you to continue the conversation. :)