Sunday, 21 April 2013

ROW80 Sunday Check In - 21 April 2013

I spent most of today planning learning activities for my toddler, designing and printing planners, surfing the net for teaching ideas, filling in aforementioned planner... I am completely drained after that.

So, it's not a great night tonight in terms of wordcount. 204 words. (I wrote more in my novel notebook than I did on the actual draft.) BUT, on a positive note, those 204 words did give me some ideas about events to come in the novel.

And onto my goals:

Goal 1: To write at least 4 pages longhand in each writing session
Er, no. Not tonight anyway. I'm at 83% in terms of wordcount goal for this month, but this is where my writing streak ends in terms of this particular goal. <sigh>

Goal 2: Do some writing-related activity even if for only five minutes a day
Yes. I mulled over the situation as it stands in the novel right now and wrote up the ideas in my novel notebook, so I can definitely tick this box!

Goal 3: Have a first draft almost complete by the end of this Round
Step by step. That's how I'll achieve this one.


I'm reading an EXCELLENT book right now - For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. EXCELLENT. It's YA and it's inspired by Jane Austen's Persuasion. It's set in the distant future in a society where there are two types of people: Luddites and the Reduced. But times are changing and a new class is emerging, the Post-Reductionists, who are beginning to explore the world and challenge the beliefs and traditions of the Luddites. There's a de-railed romance between a Luddite, Elliot (named after her grandfather), and Kai, a Post-Reductionist. It's an Unputdownable book. A keeper. I'm reading a copy from the library, but I'll be ordering one to buy and keep on my bookshelf. It's that good. :)

Hope your week has been going well.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you know where you are heading and every scribble in your novel notebook is a gem! Even if they aren't used!

    Thank you so much for your comment over at my place. I think after I have done this read through I might need to go back through it and highlight sentences/paragraphs I want to keep. But I won't scare myself thinking about that now!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em, thank you for dropping by.

      Yes, keeping the notebook is a good idea - I can work out ideas and have a record at the same time.

      All the best with your revisions. :)

      Delete
  2. You have been busy and productive.

    A thought -

    Everything is a learning activity to a toddler (well, to all children, really).

    When mine were small, I would set up a few "stations" during naptime, with a different type of toy or activity at each. The kids would wake to find a variety of things to play with.

    When there are small children involved, it can be tricky to get in writing time....but it does get easier, and all these little bits of writing will add up.

    Happy to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - everything is a learning activity. After my draining evening, I had to remind myself that at this age, learning is best achieved by having fun, and I can include myself in that too! If it's not fun, what's the point?

      Which is also true of my writing, incidentally!

      Slow and steady, that's the way to go. Today I tried doing small bursts of writing, instead of one bigger session. And although I only got round to one burst (this morning, outside as my toddler pottered around me) it produced just over a page, so that leaves less for me to do tonight. Win Win. Time with toddler outside and writing done too. Woo hoo!

      Delete
  3. Step by step and a novel notebook -- love your ideas!! Wishing you the best with a steady progress.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading new comments so thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to get back to you to continue the conversation. :)